According to a 2004 study, preventable behaviors and exposures caused approximately half of all deaths in the United States in 2000. The leading diseases are tobacco use, physical inactivity accompanied by poor nutrition, and alcohol consumption. Preventive care serves as a precaution against these diseases.
Preventive Care Benefits for Men’s Wellness
What is Preventive Care?
Preventive care is a type of health focused on preventing disease or delaying the onset of illness and disease.
Prevention from disease encompasses a healthy lifestyle consisting of exercise, diet, and other similar efforts. Preventive health care in a medical setting includes various health care services, such as a physical examination, laboratory tests, screening, immunizations, and counseling.
Most health care plans cover preventive health procedures, thanks to the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The ACA, also known as Obamacare, puts a focus on providing newly required coverage for a total of 63 health prevention and screening services divided into three categories for adults, women, and children.
The following are the illnesses and diseases covered in screening and counseling for adults:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Triple-A)
- Alcohol Misuse
- Aspirin Use
- Blood Pressure Check
- Cholesterol screening
- Colon Cancer Cancer
- Diabetes (Type 2)
- Diet Counselling
- HIV Screening
- Immunization Vaccines
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Tobacco Use
Three Preventive Care Health Benefits
When you incorporate preventive care into your lifestyle and medical setting, you can reap the following benefits:
1. Reduced Risk of Acquiring Diseases
Preventive care serves as your body’s protection before you feel sick or notice any symptoms. Practicing a healthy lifestyle and getting a regular diagnosis to save your body from going through mental distress and sickness.
2. Encourage a Healthy Lifestyle
Routine care can help you stay focused on your own health goals and encourage you to live a healthier lifestyle.
3. Lower Medical Expenses
Hospital care is costly, making up one-third of all health care costs in America. Preventive care helps lower health care costs in America by preventing or treating diseases before they require emergency room care.
Men’s Path to Improved Health
Men have a higher risk rate due to genetic, cultural, and lifestyle differences. However, you can do several lifestyle practices to protect yourself from diseases and optimize your health. For instance:
- Be Physically Active. Exercise benefits the body in numerous ways. For instance, it helps manage weight, decrease the risk of heart disease and stroke, and possibly lower the risks of certain types of cancer.
- Avoid smoking tobacco. Tobacco is associated with several male health concerns to both smokers and second-hand smokers alike.
- Limit your alcohol intake. The amount of alcohol intake and the amount of time drinking is related to a higher risk of liver cancer, high blood pressure, and stroke.
- Manage stress. Stress is a normal part of the day to day life. However, long-term exposure to stress can increase the risk of heart attack, hypertension, and stroke. Take steps to reduce stress — or learn to deal with stress in healthy ways such as meditation and decompression.
- Avoid risky behaviors like over-speeding and extreme sports. Also, take precautions by wearing protective equipment such as a helmet and seatbelt when driving.
- Always practice safe sex.
Preventive health care is a good investment for your health and well-being. Together with screening tests and counseling in medical services, these lifestyle routines can help you avoid diseases or delay the onset of illness and disease. You can visit your doctor for routine checkups to optimize your health and address your health concerns before they get worse.
Opt health is a telemedicine platform that aims to reconnect men with wellness, strength, and sexual vitality through the science of preventive medicine. For questions, inquiries, or appointments, do not hesitate to contact us. Get personalized support and insight from top-tier physicians available for you 24/7.